Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Something happened today...

That made me think about my Mom.

Most people who know me know I have a Mom and then a "Mother". My "Mother", and I use this term very loosely, is what I call the woman who gave birth to me. She is by no means the woman who cared for me.

She wasn't the woman who:

-bought me my first pair of girl pants
-comforted me when my heart was broken by a boy the first time
-the first time a friend betrayed me
-taught me the birds and the bees
-comforted me when I was sick
-kissed my boo boo's
-helped me during my first period
-told me I looked perfect when I went to my first dance
-taught me how to drive
-took me to the doctor when I was sick
-watched me run track
-comforted me when I was sad
-looked in on me to make sure I was sleeping well when I was sick with the flu (yes I knew you did that)
-bought me a new backback every year
-took me school shopping
-helped me sign the paperwork booking the ceremony site for my wedding
-bought the flowers for my wedding
-showed up early to make sure everything was perfect for my wedding
-told me I was the most beautiful bride ever
-and comforted me when the fertility treatments failed.

I could go on and on. But that would take pages and pages that the internet doesn't even have the room for. All of these were NEVER done by the woman who carried me for 9 months, birthed me, and who was supposed to care for me.

These were all done by my Mom. The woman who walked into my life when I was 10. The woman who entered into a marriage with a man who had 3 kids. The woman who never blinked twice with being called a "step mom". But there was never anything step about her. She is my Mom. She might not have ever given birth to me but she has showed me what truely loving a child is. She shows me everyday. She is the mother I hope to become...the one I wish to be.

I hope she knows how much I love her and cherish her everyday.
I love you Mom!

1 comments:

hangel said...

Absolutely beautifully written..and heartfelt. I hope your "mom" reads it and appreciates you just like you appreciate her.